The novel Piece of Cake featured a large number of aircraft.
The notation (TV) indicates types which also feature in the miniseries.
- Hawker Fury - Biplane fighter. Used by Hornet Squadron when Hector G. Ramsey took command.
- Hawker Hurricane - Replaced the Fury aircraft in 1939
- Supermarine Spitfire (TV)
- Boulton Paul Defiant - Single engine Turret fighter. 'Sticky' Stickwell served with a Defiant squadron after his unauthorised sortie into Germany resulted in him being transferred out of Hornet Squadron by Squadron Leader Rex
- Bristol Blenheim - Twin engine bomber. A formation of these were mistaken for Junkers Ju-88s by Hornet Squadron during Fanny Barton's stint as Acting CO.
- Fairey Battle - Single engine light bomber. One squadron were based at RAF Kingsmere at the same time as Hornet Squadron
- Handley Page Hampden
- Lysander - Army co-operation aircraft. Flash flew - and crashed - three examples after the retreat from France, before joining the reformed Hornet Squadron.
- De Havilland Tiger Moth (TV) - Biplane trainer. 'Baggy' Bletchley used one to fly to Bodkin Hazel to inform Hornet Squadron about the change in radio codes.
- Heinkel He 59 - Air Sea Rescue aircraft, occasionally used to gather intelligence on British communications. (Replaced by a Junkers Ju52/3m in the miniseries).
- Curtiss P-36 - American built fighter used by the French. Flash briefly used one, built from a pair of wrecks, following the death of Squadron Leader Rex